The next round of fighting with Hamas in the Gaza Strip is just a matter of time, Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman said on Monday during a visit to the Gaza Division.
“Since the start of the ‘March of Return,’ Hamas has claimed 168 dead, another 4,348 wounded and dozens of terror infrastructures destroyed,” Liberman said. “The question of the next round of fighting is not ‘whether’ but ‘when.’ I’m sure we’ll do what is needed.”
While at the Gaza Division, Liberman met with the IDF Chief of Staff Lt.-Gen. Gadi Eisenkot, the Head of the Southern Command Maj.-Gen. Herzi Halevi, Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) Maj.-Gen. Kamil Abu Rokon and representatives from Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency).
“We are conducting a responsible and powerful security policy. Responsible security policy is not an answer-not to online commenters, not newspaper headlines or public opinion. We are prepared and know what to do and how to do it,” Liberman said.Liberman’s comments came after another round of fighting between Israel and Hamas, which saw more than 200 rockets and mortars fired from the coastal enclave toward southern Israeli communities within a 24-hour period last week, and more than 150 retaliatory strikes by Israeli jets.
While a cease-fire to end the escalation of violence was said to have been agreed upon by the two sides, officials of both sides have denied signing a cease-fire. Nevertheless according to a senior security official there has been complete quiet on the Gaza border for the past two days, with no incendiary aerial devices igniting fires or violence the fence.
Lieberman will hold a briefing with senior IDF and Defense establishment officials on the situation in southern Israel on Tuesday at noon.