US forces in South Korea have been placed on their highest level of alert in case of any provocation from North Korea, after North Korea’s nuclear test last week.
Curtis Scaparrotti, Commander, UN Command/Combined Forces Command/United States Forces Korea (USFK), made the order during a visit to the Osan Air Base, operated jointly by the United States and South Korea, a USFK official said.
The US and South Korea have also been in talks about sending further strategic US assets to the Korean peninsula, a day after a US B-52 bomber flew over South Korea in response to the nuclear test.
“The United States and South Korea are continuously and closely having discussions on additional deployment of strategic assets,” Kim Min-seok, spokesman at the South Korean defence ministry said on Monday (local time), declining to give specifics.
Read More: US troops on highest alert over North Korea | World | 3 News