Hassan Nasrallah, the secretary-general of Hezbollah, gave a televised address on Friday vowing to “displace millions of Israelis in the coming war…if it was imposed on Lebanon.”
The Lebanese Shi’ite leader made the remarks just days after Israeli authorities conducted a series of drills. Some Israeli military officers have been quoted in recent weeks as saying that a future confrontation with Hezbollah would result in large numbers of displaced Lebanese.
Nasrallah’s speech, which was broadcast to a ceremony featuring scouts of the Hezbollah al-Mahdi youth movement, was reported by the Lebanese news site Naharnet.
Earlier this week, a senior military source said that in the event of a new conflict with Hezbollah, the IDF would seek to evacuate more than a million civilians in south Lebanon within 24 hours before proceeding to strike thousands of Hezbollah targets in some 240 villages and built-up regions.
Large-scale Hezbollah rocket and missile fire would be met with civilian evacuations, massive Israeli aerial strikes, followed by a ground offensive, the source said.
Leave a Reply